Deer Sausage Fatty Recipe
Prepare your next venison meal with this unique wild game recipe from SCHEELS Expert Jeremy! Whether you use venison or pork sausage, stuff the inside with your favorite add ins to complete this masterful dish.
When making sausage fattys, you need a little extra pork in there, so we recommend mixing your deer sausage with pork at a 60/40 pork to deer ratio for best results. Start by flattening your sausage in a Ziploc bag, as evenly as possible, until you have a perfect square of sausage. Cut open your bag and stuff your sausage with whatever you like! You can stuff these with anything, for example, shrimp and asparagus, buffalo chicken, or a breakfast fatty with hard-boiled eggs! We are sticking with the simple tater tots, cheese, and bacon, for everyone to enjoy! Roll it up, close the ends, and we are ready to hit the grill. Smoke it first and then crank up the grill to finish off the cook. Slice it up and enjoy!
- 1 lb. deer sausage mixed with pork
- Bacon, pre-cooked
- Tater tots, pre-cooked
- Shredded cheese
- 1 gallon Ziploc bag
- Tin foil
- Meat thermometer
- Traeger Ironwood 885
- Place the 1 pound of sausage into your Ziploc bag and flatten it out into all corners of the bag making sure it is even.
- Use your scissors to cut the top half of the bag and fold it over.
- Place your bacon, tater tots, and cheese in the middle of the sausage, making sure to not overstuff.
- Use the bag to roll the sausage on itself and pinch the sides shut so none of the fillings will pop out during the cook.
- Cook at 185° F and super smoke for 30 minutes and finish it off at 350° F for 45 minutes or until the internal temp reads 165° F.