Smoked Mac N Cheese Recipe
Costco mac and cheese is already a delicious dish but what if we told you that it can get even better? Scheels Grilling Expert James puts his spin on the premade Costco meal with his trusty Traeger. It’s a recipe that's easy and extra cheesy.
No more wasting time making noodles. Instead, let’s take something that’s already good, and make it great. Check out what we are doing to elevate this Costco mac and cheese. We love any excuse to use our jerky rack, so start by grabbing yours and laying out a full pound of thick cut bacon. By putting the bacon on the jerky rack, it cooks evenly, while also keeping the bacon out of its own grease and making it a bit healthier in the process. Combine 2 tins of Costco mac and cheese into one larger tin, spread tablespoon side slices of butter evenly throughout. Add in 1 cup of milk and grate up a fresh brick of cheddar cheese until you have about 1-2 cups worth. [Expert tip: using a natural brick of cheese is healthier, and when cooked it is creamier, more stringy, and tastes even better.]
Set the Traeger to 180°, throw on your mac and cheese and super smoke for 1 hour. After an hour, remove the mac and cheese and cover with tin foil. Turn the grill up to 350°, place your covered mac and cheese back on the grill and add your bacon. [Expert tip: place some tin foil under the bacon to catch the grease and avoid the chances of a grease fire.] After 45 minutes, take the bacon off the grill and cut it up into bite sized pieces. Mix the bacon into the mac and cheese and enjoy the stringy, creamy-ness of your smoked mac and cheese!
- 2 tins of Costco mac and cheese
- 1 stick of butter
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- Traeger Blackened Saskatchewan rub
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 cup milk
- Combine Costco mac and cheese into 1 tin, add 1 stick of butter and spread pieces evenly throughout, add 1 cup of milk, and 1-2 cups of freshly grated cheese. Stir.
- 180° Super Smoke Costco mac and cheese on Traeger for 1 hour.
- Remove mac and cheese, cover with tin foil, and place it back on the grill
- Turn the grill up to 350°, add bacon to the bottom rack
- Cook for about 45 minutes, or until all of the cheese is melted
- Cut bacon up into pieces
- Stir bacon into mac and cheese and enjoy!