Are you wearing the safest?
The biggest advancement in the protection against cycling concussions. Trek and Bontrager have partnered with WaveCel to create a helmet technology that disrupts 30 years of accepted safety standards. You only get one brain.
It's worth protecting.
When you're riding serious trails, you need serious protection. Bontrager Blaze WaveCel offers the best in performance and protection on any trail, from flowy singletrack to gnarly downhills. It’s built for style, comfort, and performance, and equipped with the industry's best safety tech for whatever trails you roam.
- Certification: CPSC
- WaveCel advanced helmet technology
- The Boa® System lets you easily secure and adjust helmet fit with just one hand
- Fidlock magnetic buckle fastens effortlessly for a quick, secure fit
- Front Blendr mount system easily integrates GoPro camera and Bontrager light accessories
- AgION antimicrobial pads wick away moisture and eliminate odors naturally
- Additional NoSweat pad with silicone channel keeps sweat out of eyes for constant clarity
- Drop-in coverage on back of helmet offers extended protection
- Crash Replacement Guarantee provides a free helmet replacement if involved in a crash within the first year of ownership.
What is WaveCel:
- Small (51-57cm)
- Medium (54-60cm)
- Large (58-63cm)
WaveCel is a collapsible cellular material that lines the inside of Bontrager helmets.
It is the result of a four-year partnership between Trek’s Research & Design teams, orthopedic surgeon Dr. Steve Madey, and biomechanical engineer Dr. Michael Bottlang. Drs Madey and Bottlang have collaborated for the past 25 years and pioneered advances in fracture care, thoracic and pelvic trauma, and head injury prevention. They are funded by grants from the National Institute of Health to help prevent traumatic brain injuries amongst cyclists.
How it works:
Unlike a standard foam helmet, which is designed to protect against direct impacts, WaveCel accounts for how most cycling accidents actually happen—ungracefully, with twists, turns, and angled impacts.
WaveCel absorbs energy in multiple ways. On impact, the layers of the WaveCel material move independently and flex until the cell walls crumple and then glide, actively absorbing direct and rotational energy and redirecting it away from your head.
This three-step change in material structure—flex, crumple, glide—is remarkably effective at dispersing the energy from an impact. Nearly 99 out of 100 times, WaveCel prevents concussions from common cycling accidents.*
*Results based on AIS 2 Injury (BriC) at 6.2 m/s test at 45° comparing a standard EPS Helmet and the same helmet modified with WaveCel insert as described in detail in Comparison of Bicycle Helmet Technologies in Realistic Oblique Impacts.