Best Trail Running Shoes of 2023
Exploring the trails less traveled is a fun way to add variety to your running routine, but tackling trail terrain can be tough without the proper pair of trail running shoes. When you’re ready to start regularly running trail terrain, start with our Expert-approved list of the best trail running shoes of 2023.
Learn more about what to look for in trail running shoes with our Expert guide: How to Buy Trail Running Shoes >
HOKA Speedgoat 5
The HOKA Speedgoat 5 offers a lightweight trail runner with reliable grip and plenty of cushion.
- Weight: 10.3 oz. (M) | 8.5 oz. (W)
- Meta-Rocker design with foam midsole for cushioning
- Vibram® Megagrip with 5mm traction lugs for incredible grip
5-Star Customer Review: “This is my third pair of Speedgoat 5s and my primary training and race-day shoes. I have run numerous trail races with all the normal obstacles, to include roots, rocks, ruts, steep rocky climbs and wet/muddy conditions in which the Speedgoat 5s held up great with no issues.” ~ Bill
Salomon Speedcross 6
The Salomon Speedcross 6 features a quick-lace system for a super secure fit and Contagrip® outsole for superior traction on any terrain. Please note we carry the women’s in a waterproof model.
- Weight: 10.5 oz. (M) | 9.8 oz. (W)
- Quick-lace system for a super secure fit throughout your run
- Contagrip® outsole provides plenty of traction for mixed or muddy terrain
5-Star Customer Review: “Sturdy, secure, and yet light. I've always loved the lacing cords that I feel give the best even tightness across the foot. I've run half a dozen 20+ milers on hilly ground in the last couple of months on rock, mud, and gravel.” ~Tom
Featuring a waterproof upper, the On Cloudventure is designed to keep your feet dry no matter the conditions.
- Weight: 11.5 oz. (M) | 9.3 oz. (W)
- Wind and waterproof upper to keep feet dry and comfortable
- Zero Gravity Cloud elements for unmatched cushioning, especially on the descent
5-Star Customer Review: “Great trail traction, lightweight, comfortable, and they’re waterproof! Makes for a fantastic trail runner!” ~ Tammy
Brooks Cascadia 16
Designed to provide stability on technical terrain, while the classic fit provides plenty of room in the toe box.
- Weight: 10.5 oz. (M) | 9.5 oz. (W)
- Root and rock protection to prevent injuries
- Soft, lightweight cushioning for a smoother ride
5-Star Customer Review: “Great fit for someone who needs a slightly wider shoe. Great trail traction. Quite comfy.” ~Linda
Altra Lone Peak 7
Ideal for rugged trails, the Altra Lone Peak 7 features grippy MaxTrac™ outsoles and Altra EGO™ midsole for plenty of grip, cushion, and protection.
- Weight: 11 oz. (M) | 9.2 oz. (W)
- Altra EGO™ midsole for responsive yet comfortable feel
- Upgraded MaxTrac™ outsole for stickiness and grip underfoot
5-Star Customer Review: “The Altra Lone Peak 7 is a trail running shoe that is perfect for a variety of terrain. It has a wide toe box, a zero-drop platform, and a sticky outsole that provides excellent traction. The Lone Peak 7 is also very breathable, which helps to keep your feet cool and dry even on long runs. If you are looking for a comfortable, durable, and reliable trail running shoe, the Altra Lone Peak 7 is a great option.” ~ Jose
Whether you’re looking for a trail running shoe that sheds mud, offers waterproof protection, or provides plenty of cushion, start with our list of the best trail running shoes for your next adventure. If you have additional questions about how to buy trail running shoes, stop into your local SCHEELS to speak with a Footwear Expert today!